Monday, February 11, 2013

KISS - Gene Simmons

Hard Harry412 had never listened to any of the KISS 'solo' albums until recently when I decided it was time to complete my KISS Kollection of albums...




... and Genes solo album leaves me a little bewildered.  Certainly was not what I was expecting.

This is more a '70s R & B album then anything close to hard rock.  Heck I could imagine Prince churning this thing out during his early period!  




Ok so to me the whole '70s R & B vibe sounds incredibly dated.  (Hey I am not much of an R & B fan and just call it how I hear it!)  Also someone else is playing the bass guitar on here!  It is not Gene and it DOES NOT sound like Gene which sort of bums me out.  




There is some good points though.  It certainly seems like the musicians enjoyed themselves making this thing.  I bet Gene Simmons enjoyed getting to have a chorus of female background vocalists to aid in making interesting arrangements.  Make no mistake the members of KISS are good song-writers... Don't believe Hard Harry412... well then listen to someone with real Alternative Rocker musical gravitas: BUZZ OSBOURNE!!!:




So 'KISS: Gene Simmons' is alright, perhaps I shall warm up to it a bit more with some more listens, but I can't help feeling that maybe if Gene himself had laid down the bass to anchor this baby that perhaps it may have turned out a little better!

No comments:

Post a Comment