Saturday, February 2, 2013

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Easily Hard Harry412 favorite Soundgarden album!




Back in the day when MTV actually showed music I tuned in to watch a live broadcast of a Guns N' Roses concert  circa 1991.  Little did I know that it would also show their opening act at the time: Soundgarden! 

Turns out I liked Soundgardens performance alot more then G N' Rs (I am not really into Sleaze Rock to be honest and much prefer Alternative Metal!).  I went out and immediately got a cassette of 'Badmotorfinger'.




After that anything Soundgarden / Chris Cornell became my 3rd favorite musical thing!




Badmotorfinger simply RULES!  It starts out with an amazing one-two punch:

'Rusty Cage':




This is one of my favorite songs all time!  Plus the video is sweet!  These guys are hanging out in the Northwest and rocking!


'Outshined':



THIS IS GRUNGE!  Totally bad ass video that appears to be made in hell of all places!

The other highlight of the album is 'New Damage' which sounds like Soundgarden paying homage to Black Sabbath.  They are playing all slow and stuff, but it is totally heavy!




This is the peak of Soundgardens 'Metal Phase'.  Chris Cornell even had long hair and looked akin to a 'Metal Jesus'!!!

This is just totally IT, right here!  Of the 'Big Four of Grunge' Soundgarden is my fave, and this is my fave album of theirs!  In my mind the heavy sonic assault of 'Badmotorfinger' blows 'Nevermind', 'Dirt' and 'Ten' out of the water!

The only issue I have with this album is that Chris Cornells vocals seem to be a little low in the mix.  But to be honest the guitars on this albums are SO HEAVY and loud that I think that no matter how one mixed it, it would always sort of 'wash over' Cornells vocals sadly.  (sadly because Cornell is one of my favorite singers!)


No comments:

Post a Comment