Saturday, January 12, 2013

Andrew Wood - Melodies and Dreams

This has to be one of the most special and treasured albums I have.




I literally worship Andrew Wood.  One of these days when I take some vacation time I need to visit his grave in Washington and pay my respects:




I found 'Melodies & Dreams' when searching through the I-tunes archive sometime before I got my copy of the DVD 'Malfunkshun: The Andrew Wood Story'.  I couldn't believe it!  I downloaded this miracle immediately.  Total compulsive buy!

This collection of remastered demos apply showcases Woods ability to write some good ballads.  He could rock with Mother Love Bone, and could do some softer-styles solo.  Most chicks would probably dig this solo stuff.



Also some of the songs on here are surprisingly funky and sound like early Prince circa 'Controversy'  Wood could just transcend genres like they were nothing!!




My favorite song on here is 'Cool Marmalade'.  It was the last song he wrote and recorded just a few weeks before his unfortunate demise.  The first lyrics are something along the line of 'I had a dream I died last night' and then he goes on to sing of being AWOL too.  Man that just gives me chills and makes me hella' sad at the same time.  Did Wood have premonitions he was going to die?




1 comment:

  1. I firmly believe Andrew knew he was going to die-many of the songs on Apple allude to this if you listen closely to the words. Also, you'll find some mind-blowing stuff on this blog (it's not by me-some dude named David King) http://kuriakon00.com/andrew_wood/ LoveRockPrevails

    ReplyDelete