Friday, January 4, 2013

Metallica - Kill 'Em All

Guess what?  It is ok for alternative rockers to like Heavy Metal (like Metallica).  Soundgarden made it safe to do so:
Soundgarden made a place for heavy metal in alternative rock. Their fellow Seattle rockers Green River may have spearheaded the grunge sound, but they relied on noise rock in the vein of the Stooges. Similarly, Jane's Addiction were too fascinated with prog rock and performance art to appeal to a wide array of metal fans. Soundgarden, however, developed directly out of the grandiose blues-rock of Led Zeppelin and the sludgy, slow riffs of Black Sabbath

 http://www.allmusic.com/artist/soundgarden-mn0000001098



Something like 'Kill 'Em All' is especially tantalizing.  It has real indie label production values.  Hetfields and Hammetts twin guitar attack can churn out a sound that is listenable to noise rockers.

Also since J Mascis brought back guitar solos with Dinosaur Jr., it is A-OK to enjoy Hammetts solos!




Even Kurt Cobain liked Metallica!:



Is it true that the album cut "Whiplash" was Kurt Cobain's favorite Metallica song?
Absolutely. He told me that himself. He came to one of our shows in Seattle, on the Black Album tour. I remember at one point, we were playing "Whiplash," and he looked at me and kept punching the air with his fist, and gave me a big thumbs-up sign. I was like, "Cool. Kurt, I know you love this song. This one's for you!" I knew Kurt kind of well, and I hung out with him quite a bit. He was a pretty big Metallica fan – I was surprised at how much of a Metallica fan he was. He loved Ride the Lightning. He loved that album.
 http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-metallicas-kirk-hammett-on-horror-fans-hanging-with-kurt-cobain-20121001



'Kill 'Em All' is another album that is all killer/ no filler.  My favorite track is the first one 'Hit the lights', The beginning drum into and guirar intro just rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment