Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dinosaur Jr. - Bug

'Bug' finds Dinosaur Jr. attempting to grow as musicians.




Whereas they were pretty much all noise on 'Your Living All Over Me', here they are attempting to craft a number of mid-tempo tunes.  'Pond Song' and 'Keep the Glove' showcase this move towards a more musical form.

There are still some rockers on 'Bug' though.  'Freak Scene' is legendary and might be one of Dinosaur Jr.s best known tunes.




One of my issues with this album though is that Lous bass seems to be turned down in the mix! I can understand why dude wanted to bail after this, frankly.  Lou is my favorite bassist so hearing him get turned down is a big bummer to me.  (Luckily though he will be back in the Dinosaur Jr. fold later!  YES!)

Also another issue I have with this album is the cover art!  Yuck, and actual BUG!  It would be a few more albums before Dino would start making cover-art I like...

No comments:

Post a Comment