Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Juliana Hatfield Three - Become What You Are

This is widely regarded as Juliana Hatfields breatkthrough album!




For a long time I thought this was only an 'O.K.' album, but after listening to it recently I must say that the guitar sound has really grown on me.  After listening to some more recent over-produced albums it is nice to hear what I would call a 'regular '90s Alternative Rock sound'.




Hard Harry412 is going to start something a little new: a track by track snippet take:

Supermodel: A good rocker that starts the album off.  Juliana really gives her lungs a good workout with the vocals on this one.

My Sister: One of Julianas biggest hits (is this or 'Universal Heartbeat' more popular/ well known).  Has a cool breakdown in the middle!

This Is the Sound: This is more a mid-tempo song where they start some new stop and go type of chorus.  Was Juliana listening to Helmet before writing this song?  Anyhow it is a nice break from the two rockers that open up the album and kind of slows things down for the next couple of tunes.




For the Birds: Mega-melo-dramatic song about dead birds.

Mabel: This song is pretty sad and is apparently about a mentally diseased chick named Mabel.  Not sure why but this song has always kind of 'gotten to me' so to speak.

A Dame with a Rod: Juliana goes all Riot Grrl with this revenge fantasy punker.  I think she is singing about using a gun too and given all the 2nd Amendment controversy I think it is nice there is someone out there in the Alt-Rock world that gives guns a positive portrayal.

Addicted:  Not really sure what this song is about.  I think it is more of a B-side throw-away type of song, but most artists would be hard-pressed to even make a song this good.

Feelin' Massachusetts: This may be my favorite song on  here.  It just rocks.  It has this real Dinosaur Jr/ Nirvana type vibe of uptempo noise rock but with downer lyrics and I just really like that combination.




Spin the Bottle: Not really a favorite, but it is nice that an acoustic number is on here to try and break up the monotony of electric guitars.  Oh yeah and it was on 'Reality Bites' which is one of my favorite flicks (How many flicks are there that are specifically geared towards Generation X, like 4-5 tops?!?!)

President Garfield: this one is legendarily about Henry Rollins.  It is really like two songs in one and the second half is about the closest that Juliana ever gets to Heavy Metal

Little Pieces: This is like a sad ballad that got upgraded with electric guitars.  I think it is probably my 2nd favorite song on here.

No Got No Idols: A super serious mid-tempo number to close things out on a serious note.

No comments:

Post a Comment