Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nirvana - Nevermind Super Deluxe Edition

Nirvana is one of the main reasons I got into Alt-rock!




To this day I can still remember being transfixed, viewing for the first time Nirvanas MTV studio performance of 'Territorial Pissings'!




Had never heard anything like that before!  So fast!  I went and got the cassette tape of 'Nevermind' and it must have been one of the real early ones because it did not have 'Endless, Nameless' on it:

One of the songs mastered at the session, a hidden track called "Endless, Nameless" intended to appear at the end of "Something in the Way", was accidentally left off initial pressings of the album. Weinberg recalled, "In the beginning, it was kind of a verbal thing to put that track at the end. Maybe I misconstrued their instructions, so you can call it my mistake if you want. Maybe I didn't write it down when Nirvana or the record company said to do it. So, when they pressed the first twenty thousand or so CDs, albums, and cassettes, it wasn't on there." When the band discovered the song's omission after listening to its copy of the album, Cobain called Weinberg and demanded he rectify the mistake.[22] Weinberg complied and added about ten minutes of silence between the end of "Something in the Way" and the start of the hidden track on future pressings of the album.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind#Recording_and_production 

Well 'Endless, Nameless' is assuredly on my edition of 'Nevermind Super Deluxe' and a lot more!




The best thing about this is the remastered version of 'Nevermind' itself.  At first I wasn't really into it, probably since I had heard the first few tracks so many times before, but when 'Breed' came on.. well it was on!  Sounded great!!!




Also 'Nevermind Super Deluxe' has complete Nirvana concert from 1991 at the Paramount Theatre on it!  I like the Paramount because that is where I saw Leonard Cohen live at and also Alice in Chains have filmed a music video there as well.  It is just a cool place with a lot of history!




The concert set-list is awesome!  There is a lot of songs from 'Bleach' on there!  I think 'Bleach' gets over-looked a lot so this is awesome.  You know when Nirvana were on their 'In Utero' tour they didn't play much stuff from 'Bleach', and there is lots of live stuff from that tour out there (like MTVs 'Live and Loud')  The high-light of this concert for me is the rendition of 'Love Buzz'.  I can't stand the studio version, but this live version is pretty good.




As for the rest of 'Nevermind - Super Deluxe' there are some B-sides and boom-box recordings and also Butch Vigs original mix of the album, someday I am going to have to get around to listening to that.  I'm glad it was included as there is so much controversy about the production of this album.  Even Kurt Cobain kind of turned against it and said it was too polished essentially.  Well my response to that is a hard-core Hard Harry412-ism 'So be it!'  I like the album anyway!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment