Sunday, January 13, 2013

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

It is generally agreed upon that Metallicas first four albums are their best and constitute a 'classic  quartet'.




However that still leaves a burning question: which of these four is the best?

10-15 years ago I would have said "Kill 'Em All' was the best since it is just so raw and powerful.  Also I like the drum sound on it alot.




Over the last 1-2 years though I have really warmed back up to 'Ride the Lightning'.  The production values are just a little better.  It is like a raw stone, that has had its edges sheened just a little to make it just a little shiney and little nicer.  Those are the sorts of albums I like now-a-days (Nirvanas 'Nevermind' and Dinosaur Jrs 'Where You Been' would fall into this category as well.

Pretty much every song on here is awesome.  My fave and possibly my most favorite Metallica song is 'Fade to Black'.  I don't really agree with the lyrics, but man the actual music itself is just awesome and it is totally heavy!

Believe it or not I actually don't really care that much for 'For Whom the Bells Toll' which is probably the most famous song out of the bunch.  Maybe I have just heard it too many times on the radio or it is just too slow tempo wise compared to the rest of the songs on here so I just consider it to be kind of wussy by comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment