Sunday, January 13, 2013

Beastie Boys - Paul's Botique

This album really flew under the radar back in the day.




I didn't even know it existed until the Beasties had a bigger commercial success with 'Check Your Head' in 1992, at which point I picked this one up as well.

The remastered version I have now is great!  Yes the old version did seriously lack some punch in the bass compared to 'License to Ill' and I think that may have had something to do with it not being as popular.




However now there is this pretty good version out now it now holds it own with regard to production values.

Here are some of my favorite jams:

High Plains Drifter: This is just a cool mid tempo jam and the chorus is freaking cool!

Get on the Mic: A fun real old skool type rap.  Also Mike D is my favorite Beastie so a song about him in particular is always cool and welcome (even though he does not rap on it himself)

Mike on the Mic: My favorite Beastie lays down some solo raps!

This album just has so many samples and jams in it!  It is totally different then 'Liscensed to Ill' but still as fun in my mind.  Where 'Ill' had more original music by Rubin and was certainly heavier (with Led Zepplin drums in one song), this one is way more sample heavy and more of a disco/ funky record.




Really 'Paul Boutique' is sort of a one-off for the B-Boys of this style, because they would quickly shift stylistic gears on their next album.  Damn these dudes really were creative (Are they over now that MCA has passed away?  Do they still have some tapes in the attic with MCA  rapping that they can put some beats to and release one more posthumous Def Jam for a dead homie?  I for one certainly hope so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment