Monday, January 14, 2013

Melvins - 26 songs

Some of the Melvins first recordings!




I saw the Melvins when they opened up for Nirvana.  All three of them were dressed totally in black and they sounded totally heavy metal (playing songs from 'Houdini').  At this time they struck me as a 'weird Metallica'




'Hag Me' certainly left an impression (it kicks ass live and loud!) so I made sure to pick up 'Houdini' when I got a chance.

Now that I am older with some more coin I am expanding my Melvins discography collection and opted to start with '26 Songs'.  Am more than glad to do this since I am sort of an 'Alternative Metal' guy and the Melvins are totally one of the bands I am into that fit that bill (along with Helmet, and early Tool.  Oh and Soundgarden too.)




I had read in one of the ka-jillion Kurt Cobain books that are out there that when Melvins started they played real slow Black Sabbath like Metal and that is exactly what is found on this record.

The basic Melvins formula is here in full effect: Dale has his bottom-endey heaviness happening and Buzz blasts load of guitar distortion with his strange vocals and lyrics, many of them are stream of conscious style and make little sense!  Hey at least their music is heavy though!


No comments:

Post a Comment