Thursday, January 31, 2013

Helmet - Betty

This album sounds quite a bit different from Helmets first two outings.




To Hard Harry412 'Betty' sounds like Helmet trying to copy the Melvins!  And that is a good thing!

'I Know' sounds like it could have come off of the Melvins Houdini album.






The drumming on 'Betty' sounds totally Dale Crover-esque to me, all bottom-endy and stuff.  I just like the drum sound on this record too.  It may be one of my favorite 'drum albums', up there with 'Surfer Rosa' with its legendary drum sound.




The rest of the album sounds good too.  Whereas 'Strap It On' and 'Meantime' feature a more direct metal assault, 'Betty' has way more dynamics and slow parts in songs.  Helmet were really trying to grow as song-writers on this one and I think they were successful because this is one heck of a good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment