Sunday, January 27, 2013

Metallicas 'Classic Quartet' Round-up

Let's break down Metallica first four albums with my favorites going first:





1.) '...And Justice For All' - After listening to this one, which I hadn't heard in years I am convinced this is the best of them.  The songs themselves are long and epic, much more so then on 'Master', but also seem to capture some of the 'brutal' rawness of their first two albums.  Hetfields vocals on here are by far his best as well!  Then there is Lars bass drum, which sounds awesome.  When one adds up all the good things about 'Justice' it just over-whelming appears to take the top spot.




2.) 'Ride the Lightning' - This album has that raw 'barely produced' sound that I like, but it is not AS raw as their debut and not as polished as 'Master' either.  Sort of a 'golden mean' as it were.  Plus 'Ride the Lightning' has some really awesome songs on there that I like such as 'Fade to Black'.  In fact I don't think there is a track on here I dislike.

3.) 'KIll 'Em All' - This thing is so raw and powerful!  The only real drawback is some of the lyrics are frankly dumb... 'Phantom Lord'?  not really all that scary!  Still this is a sick debut.  Why doesn't it get more credit?  To much of the mainstream out there wants their tunes to sound all produced and stuff.   In my mind this is right up there with some of the best debuts in Rock/ Hard Rock/ Metal such as Guns N' Roses 'Appetite for Destruction'  It is that good in my mind!




4.) 'Master of Puppets' - Well sadly something had to come in last.  I look at this as sort of transitional record to the epic achievement they would make on their next album.  I just don't really dig the title track, never have and I have heard it on the Metal Radio stations countless of times.  Still this record is by no means a failure!  It has one of my favorite Metallica songs on it: 'Disposable Heroes'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment